Hosting DHTML client application on an arcplan server
Hosting DHTML applications on an arcplan server
With the advent of the arcplan MOBILE solutions product, anyone who implements a Mobile application, will do so using the arcplan DHTML client interface.
Using this client type, whether on an iPhone or in the Standard client workstation browser, requires that the arcplan server infrastructure be setup a certain way.
The main consideration is that the arcplan server must be registered using the servers' FQDN or 'Fully Qualified Domain name'. The arcplan server uses an internally generated configuration file, called config.xml. This file is integral for almost all server functions.
For the DHTML client to function properly, ALL entries in this file, that reference the arcplan server, must be Fully Qualified(eg; myserver.mycompany.com).
IP address or CNAME server identities are not usable by the DHTML client type and the file cannot contain a mix of identity types.
This server identification directly applies to functions that are carried out, within the arcplan administration console:
- registering an arcplan server
- Publishing applications
- Installing the arcplan client components function
- Installing the arcplan CGI components function
- Publishing the arcplan HTML start page
When these functions are initiated, the config.xml file is populated, using the arcplan server identity.
A physical servers' FQDN can be found by looking at the Computer properties area:
For a NEW arcplan server implementation, what is required, is that you use the admin console to:
1. Register function, with the FQDN server identity:
2. Publish the arcplan Client components, with FQDN server identity:
3. Publish the arcplan CGI, with the FQDN server identity:
However, for an existing arcplan server installation, the config.xml file would need to be modified, to reflect ONLY FQDN server identity entries.
Steps to do this:
1. Stop the arcplan service (Services panel)
2. Edit the config.xml file in notepad
This fie is located at:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\arcplan\6\arcServer\Settings (win2003) or -
C:\Users\All Users\arcplan\6\arcServer\Settings (Win2008)
3. Replace ALL server entries with the Fully Qualified Domain name of the arcplan server
4. Save the config.xml file
5. Re-start the arcplan service
6. Launch the arcplan administration console
7. Register the server with the Fully Qualified domain name (Serverà Register)
8. Re-publish any existing html start pages, to reflect the modified server name